The University of British Columbia (UBC) in Canada is awarding need-based Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow (ILOT) Award, Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award, International Impact Award, and Vantage One Excellence Scholarships Award for Undergraduate Students 2022/2023.
International undergraduate students who exhibit exceptional academic accomplishment, leadership abilities, interest in student activities and community service, as well as recognized achievement in other crucial areas, are recognized with any of these Awards. However, if you possess those attributes, then this scholarship is a best fit for you.
- Category: Undergraduate Scholarship
- Type: Fully-Funded
- Host Country: Canada
- Institution: University of British Columbia
- Eligible Countries: All Countries
- Worth: $25,000
- Application Begin: Ongoing
- Application Deadline: January 1, 2023
About the Scholarship
The International Scholars Program at the University of British Columbia offers four distinguished need-and-merit-based prizes. Each year, UBC grants about 50 scholarships across all four categories. When you submit your application, you won’t get to choose which award you want to get; instead, our team will automatically consider you for all of the awards for which you qualify.
- Karen McKellin International Leader of Tomorrow Award: This award recognizes international undergraduate students who demonstrate superior academic achievement, exceptional leadership skills, involvement in student affairs and community service, and recognized achievement in other key areas.
- Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award: This award recognizes outstanding international undergraduate students from impoverished or war-torn areas who have achieved academic excellence under challenging circumstances, and who would be unable to attend university without significant financial assistance.
- International Impact Award: This award is offered to exceptional students who have expressed commitment to and solutions for social justice issues, climate change, equity and inclusion, societal health and wellness, and freedom of expression.
- Vantage One Excellence Award: This award is offered by UBC Vantage College for academically outstanding international students who do not yet meet the English Language Admission Standard for direct admission to UBC . The awards range in value up to the full cost of a student’s academic program and living expenses.
It may interest you to know that your award may be extended for up to three more years of undergraduate study or until you complete your degree at the University of British Columbia, whichever comes first, providing you maintain your Canadian study permit (student visa), demonstrate continued financial need, and maintain satisfactory academic standing in your faculty.
About the University of British Columbia (UBC)
The University of British Columbia is one of the top 20 public universities in the world and a major hub for research, teaching, and learning. UBC welcomes innovation and puts concepts into practice. UBC has been providing opportunities for those with the curiosity, ambition, and vision to create a better world since 1915. It also transforms personal initiative into innovation, and new ideas into impact.
The two main campuses of UBC are located in the Okanagan Valley cities of Kelowna and Vancouver. Additionally located in Vancouver are UBC Learning Exchange, UBC Robson Square, and UBC’s Centre for Digital Media. At more than 80 training locations around BC, UBC offers clinical education to students in the Faculty of Medicine.
Making links locally and elevating partnerships for research, learning, and capacity development are the two regional bases of UBC in India and Hong Kong.
Scholarship Worth (Benefits)
- Full Scholarship
- $25,000 annually
- November 15: You must have submitted your online application for admission to UBC, and submitted your International Scholars Program application. Although you can specify two degree choices in your application, only your first-choice degree will be considered for an Internationals Scholars Program award.
- January 31: Meet the University of British Columbia English Language Admission Standard for direct-entry, or the English language requirement for UBC Vantage College if you have applied to a Vantage One program and are hoping to be considered for the Vantage One Excellent Award.
- January 31: Submit any documents required for your admission to the University of British Columbia. Please submit by this deadline, not the date indicated in your “next steps” email.
- Mid-April: You will be informed if you have received an award.
- Business and economics
- Earth, environment, and sustainability
- Engineering and technology
- Health and life sciences
- History, law, and politics
- Languages and linguistics
- Math, chemistry, and physics
- Media and fine arts
- People, culture, and society
For more information about the program check it out here.
In order to be eligible for the University of British Columbia Scholarship Award, you must:
- You must be an international student with a Canadian study permit.
- You must have completed high school no earlier than June of the academic year for which you are applying. For instance, candidates for the class of 2023 must have completed high school no sooner than June 2022.
- The undergraduate degree for which you are applying must be your first.
- You must exhibit and present evidence of outstanding academic success (achieve all As or equivalent standard).
- You must show that your financial situation is such that it would preclude you from obtaining a degree at the University of British Columbia. (UBC automatically considers all international students for the merit-based International Major Entrance Scholarships and Outstanding International Student Awards scholarships, totalling a maximum value of $25,000 per year. If this amount does not cover your needs for tuition and basic living expenses, you are eligible to apply for the International Scholars Program).
- You must meet UBC’s admission requirements, including general and degree-specific requirements and the English Language Admission Standard.
We will consider you for the Vantage One Excellence Award if:
- All previous eligibility criteria apply, except you must not yet meet UBC’s English Language Admission Standard for direct admission to UBC.
- You must meet the UBC Vantage College admission requirements, including the English requirements for Vantage College.
- You must be coming directly from high school
- You must be beginning your undergraduate studies at UBC in the UBC Vantage One Program.
Candidates must be prepared to submit the following documents in order to apply for the University of British Columbia Scholarship:
- Online application form
- Academic transcript
- Letter of recommendation
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- English proficiency tests
How To Apply
- Decide on the academic program you want to study, and which campus you want to choose.
- Submit your application to the University of British Columbia.
- To apply for the International Scholars Program, you must be nominated by your school or non-profit, and submit a reference from an academic referee. Confirm that your school or non-profit is able to nominate you, and inform your nominator and academic referee that you’d like to apply for the International Scholars Program.
A single high school, college, or university may nominate up to three students for UBC Vancouver (including Vantage College), and one student for UBC Okanagan. A non-profit may only nominate a high school student who is involved with their organization. This nomination will count towards the total nominations permitted from a student’s school.
(Please note: your nominator should be your school counsellor or equivalent, and your academic referee should be someone who is familiar with you and your work – for example, your teacher for your chosen area of study).UBC elaborates.
- Gather your required financial information, as well as notes on any extracurricular activities and awards.
- Apply for the International Scholars Program by completing the form.
If you’ve satisfied all the requirements and eligibility criteria for the University of British Columbia Scholarships, then click on the button below to begin your online application process. Ensure you adhere strictly to all instructions and also upload all necessary documents.