The World Academy of Sciences (TWAS) in a bid to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries has started receiving applications from interested, eligible and qualified candidates for the 2023 TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship in India. This programme has a duration of 3-5 years subject to the students performance.
However, the organization seeks for students with strong academic backgrounds to apply for the scholarship.
- Category: Fellowship | Ph.D. Scholarship
- Type: Fully-Funded
- Host Country: India
- Organization: Department of Biotechnology (DBT), India
- Eligible Countries: Developing countries in the South
- Worth: Health insurance | Monthly stipends
- Application Begin: June 15, 2022
- Application Deadline: September 15, 2022
- Duration: 3-5 years
About the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship
The World Academy of Sciences is a merit-based science academy established for developing countries, uniting 1,000 scientists in some 70 countries. Its principal aim is to promote scientific capacity and excellence for sustainable development in developing countries.
However, the Department of Biotechnology (DBT) of the Ministry of Science and Technology in India, and UNESCO-TWAS established a fellowship programme for foreign scholars from developing countries who wish to pursue research towards a PhD in biotechnology.
TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowships are tenable at key biotechnology research institutions in India for a period of up to five years.
Scholarship Worth (Benefits)
- Fully-funded Scholarship
- Monthly stipends
- Accommodation expenses
- Health insurance
- The scholarship will run for 3-5 years subject to the students performance
All applications are expected to be turned in on or before September 15, 2022. Any application submitted after the deadline will not be considered for the scholarship.
- Agricultural Sciences
- Structural, Cell and Molecular Biology
- Biological Systems and Organisms
- Medical and Health Sciences incl. Neurosciences
- Chemical Sciences
In order to be eligible for the Scholarship Award, you must:
- be no older than 35 years old on December 31st of the application year.
- be citizen(s) of a developing nation (other than India).
- No visa for temporary or permanent residence in India or any other developed nation may be held.
- possess a Master’s degree in science or engineering, or an equivalent degree.
- Be accepted at a biotechnology institution in India (see sample Acceptance Letter that can be downloaded below or included in the application form). N/B: Requests for acceptance must be directed to the chosen host institution(s), and NOT to DBT.
- Create a research proposal overview based on the template attached here.
- Provide evidence of proficiency in English, if medium of education was not English
- Give proof that the applicant will return to their country of origin after the fellowship is over.
- not accept any additional tasks while receiving the fellowship;
- Be liable for any accompanying family members’ finances.
Candidates must be prepared to submit the following documents in order to apply:
- Completed online application form
- Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution
- Reference letters
- English language proficiency tests
- Academic transcripts
How To Apply
- The opening date of the call is: 15 June 2022.
- The deadline for receipt of applications is 15 September 2022.
- No applications will be accepted after the deadline. Therefore, it is recommended to submit your electronic application as early as possible.
- Applications for the TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Programme can ONLY be submitted to TWAS via the online portal. A tutorial on how to use the online application form is available below for download.
- For SANDWICH Fellowships (only if already registered for a PhD in the HOME country) applicants should ensure that the Vice-Chancellor or Registrar of the university sends a signed copy of the “Registration and No Objection Certificate” on institutional headed paper to TWAS (see sample form).
- Applicants should submit the Acceptance Letter from an Indian biotechnology institution to TWAS when applying online. Without preliminary acceptance, the application will not be considered for selection.
- Reference letters must be on letter-headed paper and SIGNED by the referee. The subject line must contain the name DBT/PG/ and the candidate’s surname. N.B. Only signed reference letters can be accepted.
- Should you have applied to or availed any Indian fellowships (especially INSA JRD TATA and JNCASR-CICS) in the current or previous year this must be clearly specified in the application form.
The fellowship selection results ought to be made public by the end of 2022 or the beginning of 2023, and chosen candidates won’t be able to begin their fellowships earlier than in 2023.
Kindly visit TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship for more information about this programme.
If you’ve satisfied all the requirements and eligibility criteria for the 2023 TWAS-DBT Postgraduate Fellowship Scholarship, then click on the button below to begin your online application process. Ensure you adhere strictly to all instructions and also upload all necessary documents.